GlobalData, the industry analysis specialist, has released its new report, “Type 2 Diabetes - Pipeline Assessemnt and Market Forecasts to 2017”. The report is an essential source of information and analysis on the global type 2 diabetes therapeutics market. The report identifies the key trends shaping and driving the global type 2 diabetes therapeutics market. The report also provides insights into the competitive landscape and the emerging players expected to significantly alter the market positions of the existing market leaders. Most importantly, the report provides valuable insights into the pipeline products within the global type 2 diabetes sector. This report is built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research and in-house analysis by GlobalData’s team of industry experts. GlobalData estimated the type 2 diabetes market to be worth $21.9 billion in 2009. The market is forecast to reach $36.1 billion by 2017 with a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 6% between 2010 and 2017. The main factors driving the growth of the market are the rapid growth in prevalence rates in the UK and the US, an increase in the utilization of premium priced drugs such as glitazones, an increase in prescriptions for combination drugs and an increase in the prevalence of obesity. Studies have found that obese people are three times more likely to be diagnosed with diabetes than normal people. The type 2 diabetes market has unmet needs in terms of safety and patient compliance. These unmet needs imply that the market is moderately served by the current treatment options and that significant potential exists for new entrants targeting these unmet needs. GlobalData’s analysis reveals that there are over 251 molecules in various stages of the pipeline. Victoza, one of the promising drugs, is awaiting the US Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) approval. The drug was approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMEA) in 2009. The late stage pipeline includes a few first-in-class and promising drugs such as dapagliflozin and D-Tagatose. These molecules differ from others as their site of action is different from that of the already marketed products. The major new classes of drugs include SGLT-2 inhibitors, 11ß HSD inhibitors, CCR2 antagonists, selective inhibitors of fructose 1,6-bisphosphatase, immune modulators, cortisol synthesis inhibitors, interleukin-1ß antagonists, Gastrin-Releasing Peptide (GRP) receptor agonists, GPR 119 agonists, TLR-4 receptor agonists, FXR antagonists and antisense drugs targeting glucagon receptors.
The scope of the report includes:
- Annualized global type 2 diabetes therapeutics market revenue data from 2001 to 2009, forecast for eight years to 2017.
- Geographies covered in this report include the United States (US), the United Kingdom (UK), Italy, Spain, Germany, France and Japan.
- Pipeline analysis data providing a split across different phases, mechanisms of action being developed and emerging trends. The key classes of mechanism of action include SGLT-2 inhibitors, 11ß HSD inhibitors, CCR2 antagonists, selective inhibitors of fructose 1,6-bisphosphatase, immune modulators, cortisol synthesis inhibitors, interleukin-1ß antagonists, Gastrin-Releasing Peptide (GRP) receptor agonists, GPR 119 agonists, TLR-4 receptor agonists, FXR antagonists and antisense drugs targeting glucagon receptors.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global type 2 diabetes therapeutics market. The key future market players covered are F. Hoffmann-La Roche, Novo Nordisk, Merck & Co., Novartis AG, Sanofi-aventis, Eli Lilly and Company and GlaxoSmithKline.
- Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide a qualitative analysis of its implications.
- Key topics covered include a strategic competitor assessment, a market characterization, the unmet needs and the implications for the type-2 diabetes market
Reasons to Buy
The report will enhance your decision making capability. It will allow you to:
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipelines.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global type 2 diabetes therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments and companies likely to affect the global type 2 diabetes therapeutics market in future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify the emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidation, investments and strategic partnerships.
- What's the next big thing in the global type 2 diabetes therapeutics market landscape – Identify, understand and capitalize.
1 Table of contents 2
1.1 List of Tables 4
1.2 List of Figures 4
2 Diabetes Therapeutics Market: Introduction 5
2.1 GlobalData Pipeline Report Guidance 5
3 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics: Market Characterization 6
3.1 Type 2 Diabetes Market Size 6
3.2 Type 2 Diabetes Market Forecast and CAGR 7
3.3 Drivers and Barriers for the Type 2 Diabetes Market 8
3.3.1 Drivers for Type 2 Diabetes Market 8
3.3.2 Restraints for Type 2 Diabetes Market 9
3.4 Opportunity and Unmet Need 10
3.4.1 Unmet Needs 10
3.4.2 Impact Analysis of Unmet Needs 10
3.5 Key Takeaway 12
4 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics Market: Competitive Assessment 13
4.1 Overview 13
4.2 Strategic Competitor Assessment 13
4.3 Product Profile for the Major Marketed Products in the Type 2 Diabetes Market 14
4.3.1 Actos (pioglitazone) 14
4.3.2 Avandia (rosiglitazone) 15
4.3.3 Januvia (sitagliptin) 16
4.3.4 Starlix (nateglinide) 17
4.3.5 Byetta (exenatide) 18
4.3.6 Lantus (insulin glargine) 19
4.3.7 Levemir (insulin detemir) 19
4.4 Key Takeaway 20
5 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics Market: Pipeline Assessment 21
5.1 Overview 21
5.2 Strategic Pipeline Assessment 21
5.2.1 Technology Trends Analytic Framework 21
5.3 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics – Promising Drugs under Clinical Development 22
5.4 Molecule Profile for Promising Drugs under Clinical Development 24
5.4.1 BMS-512148 (dapagliflozin) 24
5.4.2 Victoza 25
5.4.3 D-Tagatose 27
5.4.4 JNJ-28431754 (canagliflozin) 27
5.4.5 MB07803 28
5.5 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics Market—Clinical Pipeline by Mechanism of Action 30
5.6 Type 2 Diabetes Pipeline—Pipeline by Phase of Clinical Development 30
5.6.1 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics—Regulatory Filing and Phase III Clinical Pipeline 31
5.6.2 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics – Phase II Clinical Pipeline 32
5.6.3 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics – Phase I Clinical Pipeline 35
5.6.4 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics – Preclinical Pipeline 37
5.6.5 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics – Discovery Pipeline 38
5.7 Discontinued / Suspended Drugs for Type 2 Diabetes 38
5.8 Key Takeaway 38
6 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics Market: Implications for Future Market Competition 39
7 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics Market: Future Players in the Type 2 Diabetes Market 41
7.1 Introduction 41
7.2 GlaxoSmithKline 41
7.2.1 Company Overview 41
7.2.2 Business Description 42
7.2.3 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics Portfolio 42
7.3 Hoffmann-La Roche 43
7.3.1 Company Overview 43
7.3.2 Business Description 43
7.3.3 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics Portfolio 44
7.4 Novo Nordisk 44
7.4.1 Overview 44
7.4.2 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics Portfolio 45
7.5 Merck & Co., Inc. 46
7.5.1 Overview 46
7.5.2 Business Description 46
7.5.3 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics Portfolio 46
7.6 Novartis AG 47
7.6.1 Company Overview 47
7.6.2 Business Description 47
7.6.3 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics Portfolio 48
7.7 Sanofi-aventis 48
7.7.1 Company Overview 48
7.7.2 Business Description 49
7.7.3 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics Portfolio 49
7.8 Eli Lilly and Company 50
7.8.1 Overview 50
7.8.2 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics Portfolio 50
8 Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutics Market: Appendix 52
8.1 Definitions 52
8.2 Scope of Pipeline Research 52
8.3 Acronyms 52
8.4 Research Methodology 53
8.4.1 Coverage 53
8.4.2 Secondary Research 54
8.4.3 Forecasting 54
8.4.4 Primary Research 56
8.4.5 Expert Panel validation 57
8.5 Contact Us 57
8.6 Disclaimer 57
8.7 Sources 58